Friday, January 13, 2012

Jar of Eyeballs

My brain capacity is limited. All of my interests must fight, occasionally, to maintain space in that swirling, ever-shrinking orb of color and light inside my head.

Magic was on its way out. I felt as though the new expansions coming out really had nothing to offer me.

Zombies. Bleh.

Planeswalkers. Bleh.

Werewolves. These get blehed right out of the gate. Back when Innistrad was released, I thought I would be excited about werewolves. Instead, they were boring and sucky and don't do anything as far as I can tell. Boring and sucky. That's the perfect combination of words to describe the werewolves of Innistrad.

You know what…today's society has practically killed most horror movie creatures for me. I'm sick of zombies. I'm sick of vampires. I guess I'm sick of werewolves. I wasn't even that interested in the Frankenstein monster guys. Maybe its my age. I don't know.

But sometimes there comes a moment. You're reading, bored, unimpressed…and then your eyes just stop. You bring your entire focus to what's in front of you. You pause…and reflect.


The Jar of Eyeballs has my attention.

The card should have added 1 token per dead creature, with each token being worth 2 cards. Some creatures have a lot more than 2 eyeballs. Some of them don't have any eyeballs. But I understand what they are trying to do and I appreciate it.

For the right kind of deck, this is a powerful way to search for the card you need. And unlike say a tutor, you can use Jar of Eyeballs again and again.

Especially in black decks, there are so many ways to both kill your own creatures and pull them back out of the graveyard.


Every Bat gets you 2 eyeball tokens. And this is in addition to all the other benefits Skeletal Vampire gets for making and sacrificing Bats.

What if you fail to get your "engine" of sacrificial creatures up and running? You're still going to get eyeballs! All your creatures have eyeballs, and chances are your opponents will want to kill them. The creatures, not the eyeballs. The eyeballs are for you!

In the absolutely worst case scenario, as long as you have at least one dead creature, you get to draw the best card out of the top two in your library. Probably right before your turn, since you can use the ability any time.

Blue gets to Brainstorm 3 cards for 1 mana. But it takes a spell to do it, that you can only use once without tricks. My creatures die all the time.

I don't know anything else about the Dark Ascension set. But I do know I will be watching my local store for Jars of Eyeballs. I will have my eye out. And I will buy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment