Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Giving Away Everything, So Others Have Nothing

So reads the flavor text from Null Brooch, a very interesting card indeed.

Lately, I've been obsessed with my Malfegor EDH deck. Something about blowing up other people's stuff speaks to me on a subconscious level. I'll gladly discard my entire hand if that means Malfegor enters the battefield surrounded by an all-engulfing quiet, a  pristine emptiness, untouched and devoid of the tainting influence of other creatures. 

Wizards designs cards for everyone, and today they designed a card for me. That card is Hellcarver Demon.


What a horrible drawback. What a delightful ability. The way my mind works, the first order of business is to figure out how to twist this disadvantage into our favor.

Some may look for some sort of lightning-fast acceleration to bring themselves up to speed after losing all their permanents. My question: how can I reduce my opponent to the same pitiful circumstances I brought myself to?


Ideally, I could either suspend this or run into it when I cast my 6 free spells. Don't we all need things to be just a little bit more fair?

A country cousin to the original completely-unfair card Balance, Restore Balance is actually better because it doesn't need any mana once you finally cast it from the exiled zone. Other similar "suspend" cards include Living End, Wheel of Fate, Hypergenesis and Ancestral Vision.

But I think Restore Balance does the best job of the 5. You won't have a hand, and hopefully you won't ever need to have a hand again. And your opponent might have some creatures in his graveyard, why bring those back out again? Restore Balance wipes the slate clean, save for your spell-casting-for-free 6/6 flying demon.

Extended already exposed us to the synergy of CMC 0 spells and the Cascade mechanic. So this deck of ours will probably be running some 3 mana Cascade effects for greater chance of pulling Restore Balance directly into play.

My mind is already spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment