Thursday, August 2, 2012

Malfegor's Diabolic Phoenix

After a bit of a struggle with 2 cards wanting to be in the same slot, I finally have the 5 drops all laid out.
 Diabolic Revelation - Another new addition, this spell might be reaching just a little too far. 5 mana to get it started, plus additional mana to get your tutor effect. And I better have more mana available than just the one. But there are a few ways my deck might get extra mana, and this is a good way to spend the windfall.

Corpse Connoisseur -Yet another creature tutor. I would be bothered by all the creature tutors in my deck, were it not for all the other awesome creatures. Corpse Connoisseur does his job, and he can even do the job twice. Slight problem is the creatures go to the graveyard. But only slight, since I have so much stuff to haul them back out again. A great card to cast if my Diabolic Servitude gets low on targets.

Hoarding Dragon - An artifact tutor! When he's not flying around, this Dragon is dying and delivering an awesome toy at my feet.

Living Death - Another way for the game to end. Casting Living Death should only be done after carefully examining the contents of everyone else's graveyard. But if all lights are green, this little 5 mana sorcery gets really mean.

Magma Phoenix - I almost used Kudoltha Pheonix in this slot instead. The Kudoltha bird is a little bigger and a bit easier to cast out of my graveyard. But the really nice bit about Magma Phoenix is you can cast him at the end of your opponent's turn. Paying for spells during the upkeep phase is a good way to wreck your turn unless its something very efficient. 4 mana is not efficient enough! I would much rather spend 5 (and be forced to deal with 2 of that being red) if it comes before my actual turn begins. Plus…there's the whole board sweeping effect. If I don't want/can't handle the sweeping effect, I just need to NOT cast Magma Phoenix. My game must be progressing well in such a case.

Siege Gang Commander - A source of 2 11 goblin tokens. The official line, which I am happy to take, also says he can sacrifice himself. It's what the card reads, even though the idea itself draws a very perplexing picture. If he were to somehow be copied…I would have 5 goblins. If I did it again I would have 7. Plus the ability to do just 6 points of damage in one go can be pretty good too.

Worldslayer - Sometimes you aren't looking for profit. Sometimes you aren't looking to win. Sometimes you just want to strap a Worldslayer to a 0/1 Goat and watch the world burn. Whether I'm actually using it, or I just want to have my finger on "the button" for a while, I am confident I can come back from zero land faster than anyone else. And once I get the land, my graveyard has all the creatures I need. A good combination with a suspended Greater Gargadon.

No comments:

Post a Comment