Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Budget Pack Analysis I


My lunch hour was spent at the local gaming shop. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did run into my old nemsis, The Deal.

Probably a pretty good deal for the shop, these "Deals" were 3-packs of previously opened cards of various rarities offered up for the bargain price of $1. You are guaranteed a rare, from my understanding.

So I felt I had to take one for science, as always.

Here is what $1 got me:

1) Pursuit of Flight

Pursuit of Flight bestows on your creature the same abilities as Goblin Balloon Brigade or Stream Hopper, and with a snazzy +2/+2 bonus in addition. Would be much better if the ability boosted power and defense as well. And if it had flash. Then you'd have a card that really rammed victory down people's throats. Without those two upgrades, this is going to be a tough sell when the next deck building palooza begins.

2) Trained Caracal

Seems like a good creature for the casting cost. But I might be out of the loop on that. I suppose they are about the same as Tundra Wolves come to think about it. And I don't think Tundra Wolves is used much anymore for anything.

3) Finally the budget rare of the pack…Pallisade Giant.

I got mildly excited about Pallisade Giant to begin with. When you see a big creature like this, the first instinct is always to find some way to wedge it into your EDH deck. But I tempered that enthusiasm quickly. There are WAY better creatures than this at 6 casting cost, especially stuff like Sun Titan.

If only there was a way to make him indestructible.

Okay, with the possibility of Darksteel Plate on the table, Pallisade Giant might, just MIGHT be a candidate for my Zedru EDH deck. It's already kinda laid back and sort of a prison setup…but I don't know how much I like that. Will have to sleep on it!

Despite the slim pickings in this card selection, I feel like I got my money's worth. It's been years since I've even opened a booster pack, and I got exactly the same range of "pickings" there for 4X the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment