Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In the beginning, there was darkness. But then a man named Mark Zug said "let there be light" and lo this our defiant Asterion was let loose into the world of collectable card slinging. Hee hee!

I'm going to be giving props to a lot of crappy cards in this blog. It's just best if I let you know up front. Luckily my format of choice, EDH allows for a lot of leeway.

Such is the case with our mighty Minotaur Illusionist.

A trick of the light? Smoke and mirrors? Despite the name, there's no deception here. Take a look, and don't forget to blink!

The rundown: A solid 3/4 body. A nigh-invulnerable morphling-esque shrouding ability. And when all else fails, 3 damage to the dome of your choice. What's not to love? Certainly, even when paying a whopping 5 mana you are probably going to get a return on your investment.

Most sweepers (the Pyroclasm and Infest variety) can't get past the 4 toughness. Spot removal has a tough time, too. I'm thinking this guy needs a little equipment to shine and in the typical EDH deck he should be forming up like Voltron in no time.

I think a creature that dares your opponent to Wrath is a pretty good threat.

Sure there are better creatures for the cost. Certainly more explosive. Most explosive in the 5 slot would probably be Spellbound Dragon. But our trusty Minotaur is solid, resilient and reassuring, he keeps trucking where our Spellbound friend is left in the graveyard.

And pound for pound, he's certainly the best Minotaur! I'll be experimenting for now. With a big grin on my face. Keep your hat on till then.

Be prepared to find out in my next post why Illuminate is really good. I know! CRAZY TALK. But it's my blog, and that's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment