Monday, August 30, 2010

Back from Vacation, Drawing Cards via Wizards

I have just returned from a week long trip to the Bahamas. It was fun, refreshing and yet oddly tiring…making the return home just as welcome as the original departure.

What did I miss? The revelation of the contents to Elspeth vs. Tezzeret, the next in the Duel Decks series.

My mind is blown. Not only do you get Elspeth and Tezzeret, but there's all kinds of old-school goodies like Swords to Plowshares and Mishra's Factory.

And did I see Crusade? Wow. Not even Glorious Anthem. Here, you're getting the genuine high school cafeteria-league Monty Python-inspired Crusade. I wonder if Jihad might be further down the line? Except its on the reserved list. Oh well.

For some reason, my mind has been turned to Wizards, lately.

And not just because I've got a Niv-Mizzet EDH deck. That guy is So Yesterday.

Ahem.

One card I had to take out of my Niv-Mizzet deck quite some time ago is Diviner's Wand.


Basically, R&D wanted to make an updated Jayemdae Tome…one your creatures could pick up and smash other creatures over the head with. Four mana in this day and age is quite a bit to pay to draw a card, even with the paltry "+1/+1" ability tacked on. Luckily, the ability triggers no matter where the card drawing comes from.

It got me thinking, just how many cards can a person draw in a turn? Turns out, quite a bit. But how many of them are Wizards?

I think the most efficient Wizard card drawers are Enclave Cryptologist, Magus of the Bazaar, and Kor Spiritdancer.

The Spiritdancer is ideal because you don't have to tap her to get the effect. You do have to play some auras…something I'm hesitant to do. However, Magus of the Bazaar is always ready in the wings to discard something like Strength of Isolation or Strength of Lunacy. One of them at a least (they basically give protection against each other, so both fall off if you attach them at the same time!).

If only there was some Wizard who could bring enchantments back from the graveyard. Or a way to recur said Wizard.

More thinking will have to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment