Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Homarid Spawning Bed (is Burning)

Up for thought:

remember me, marty?

Homarid Spawning Bed is traditionally not very good at all. Back in Fallen Empire times, the cost was much too expensive for the payout. Plus I don't think anyone knew you could use it "in response". Could you? I don't remember for sure. I do remember trying to cast blue creatures for the express purpose of then sacrificing them to get medium-large numbers of Homarids.

The end result is the same…my Homarid Spawning Bed is as pristine as when i pulled it from the pack. Not like my playset of Deep Spawn.

In today's modern EDH metagame, I am considering using the Spawning Bed as one of my "sac outlets".

Negatives:
1) Board-wide creature wipe (like Wrath of God) eliminates my new critters as well as the sacrificed ones.
2) Three mana is a lot of mana to keep open for emergency scenarios…normally I want to be casting things during my turn.
3) It works only on BLUE creatures (wa-wahhh) and not red or colorless ones.
4) An uncomfortable image comes to my mind of Homarids "doing it" whenever the phrase "Homarid Spawning Bed" is used. This is unavoidable.

Positives:
1) In a deck with huge creatures, Homarid Spawning Bed (shudder) can make a BUNCH of tokens.
2) Many of my huge creatures will probably be blue, most of my small ones definitely are
3) My huge creatures are going to be the ones hit by targeted removal, like Swords to Plowshares
4) Homarid Spawning Bed acts as a rattlesnake in multiplayer games, pushing other players to use their targeted removal, like Swords to Plowshares, on other not-controlled-by-me creatures.
5) Homarid Spawning Bed works in conjunction with other sac outsets to become more powerful, since it makes more creatures to be sacrificed. Homarid Spawning Bed + Skull Catapult turns ordinary fun "redundancy" into fun SQUARED.

From past experience, the creature my enemies seem to always gun for is Niv-Mizzet himself. Something about the card draw, and the damage, and the more card draw really sticks in people's craws. They do not want him on the board. Not on a boat. Not in a car.

Niv-Mizzet, fortunately, is partially blue and would create 1/1 Homarids when sacrificed on the Homarid Spawning Bed (shudder). In fact, he would make 6 of them! How delightful.

So I'll probably use it of I can find a way to make room. The available card slots are unfortunately ticking down as we speak. There's just so many choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment